Monday, February 14, 2005

Knowing what to do vs. doing it

Most adults have a fairly good idea of what they should be doing. Few do it. Our brain, which is so good at distinguising the correct from the wrong, the desirable from the undesirable, gives us a teeny weeny bit of self control. We repeatedly do things that we know are harmful to ourselves.

With many of us, the problem is addiction, which is more common than we may care to admit. Watching a certain TV show regularly is a relatively harmless one. Playing a video game continuously until it is won is more serious. Video games are a >$10 billion industry.If you can play 15 minutes each day, it is fine. But then, you are not the subject of this posting :)

Another common manifestation of our lack of self control is laziness. Amazing how some people get away with it. If you are in a job, you surely have seen a specimen. Does absolutely nothing and blabbers nonsense without giving any thought at meetings. Managers! Not necessarily.

While my car was broken, I had to commute for a few weeks. I would see the train from a distance. Two parallel roads to cross, the walk signs still red, the train pulling in, the knowledge that it would pull out in less than 30 seconds; getting to it almost impossible. Amazingly, when I decided to try, more often than not, I would make it just in time. If only I had the same spirit in my research... that would be cool! I'm trying... I'm trying...

No comments: