Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Disastrous Analogies

Munshi Premchand wrote that a salary is like the full moon (which becomes less full with each passing day) whereas business profits are like water from a spring (a steady flow).

While people in the north-eastern states were bearing the brunt of Hurricane Sandy, I was sitting at home thinking of the San Andreas fault line and its potential for causing earthquakes. I was in Houston when Rita struck. We were very fortunate that what could have been a category 5 storm that was headed right towards the city weakened and moved away in the last 24 hours. A day before the hurricane hit, we tried to drive to Austin. But so did half of Houston. The other half was driving to Dallas. No one got anywhere that day. We weren't even able to go to the Houston airport to pick up my dear friend and roommate Sampad who had just flown in with his newlywed wife.

Which is worse, an earthquake or a hurricane? I don't think the question has an answer, but I was having hiccups while pondering the question. The hiccups inspired me to the following analogy: A hurricane is like a sneeze (you can feel it coming) whereas an earthquake is like a hiccup (you know it will come, but can't time it exactly). When it comes to major natural disasters, I think most people would prefer sneezes to hiccups.

No comments: